Skip to main content

About Braly

A California Distinguished School

Braly Elementary is a California Distinguished School. This is an award given by the California State Board of Education to public schools within the state that best represent exemplary and quality educational programs. Approximately five percent of California schools are awarded this honor each year following a selection process.

507px-Distingbanner4.svg.png

Mission & Vision

The mission of Braly School is to help all students grow intellectually, emotionally, socially, ethically and physically as lifelong learners and contributing members of a democratic society.

Our living vision is a caring and rigorous learning community that provides a strong foundation and challenge in the disciplines; develops critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving skills; and emphasizes continuous growth by all students. We encourage and expect sharing, risk-taking, laughter, curiosity, the pursuit of excellence, the taking of personal responsibility, and active contribution to the success of the learning community.

School Spirit

School Colors: Red, White and Blue

School Mascot: Eagle

District Motto: "Preparing Every Student to Succeed in an Ever-Changing World"

Braly History

Braly's School History: In 1850, John Eusebius Braly, his wife Susan and their seven children came to California from Oregon. They bought a farm and grew wheat on 165 acres to help feed the Gold Rush Miners. Later the wheat fields were replaced with fruit orchards.

John E. Braly became a wealthy farmer. In 1855, he built a one room school house and named it Braly School. However, when a larger school was built in 1926 containing more classrooms, the tiny one room Braly School was closed.

Then in 1964, because of the growing population in the Santa Clara Valley, a new Braly School was built at the present site by the Jefferson Union School District, which is now the Santa Clara Unified School District. (The multi-purpose building/cafeteria was added later and was name for W.S. Bennett when Bennett was closed.)

Braly School was named to honor BOTH John Eusebius Braly and his son John Hyde Braly, Jr. because of their leadership in education. John Hyde Braly, Jr. was Vice President of San Jose State and he was the first Santa Clara County Superintendent of Schools.

In 1984, declining enrollment closed Braly School. However, an upsurge in population in 1992 required Braly's reopening.

In school year 1997-1998 Braly's enrollment was 345 students with 17 classroom teachers. There was one K/1st Special Day class, 3 kindergarten classes, 3 first grades, 3 second grades, 3 third grades, 2 fourth grades and 2 fifth grades. An Extended Day Program, for before and after school child care, is located on campus.

JE_Braly.jpg
 
         JH_Braly.jpg
John Eusebius Braly 1805-1880   John Hyde Braly 1835-1923